· Do not litter.
· Do not pollute our rivers, streams, drains, or ocean.
· Reuse paper, envelopes, boxes, glass and plastic containers, old newspapers, paper and plastic bags.
· Share with others and reuse at the same time by donating old books, toys, clothing, etc. to charities.
· Buy drinks in recyclable glass bottles.
· Reduce the use of disposable plates, cups and utensils and use those you can wash and reuse to reduce waste and ask shops and restaurants to do the same.
· Use cloth rags instead of paper towels to reduce waste.
· Avoid buying products with excessive packaging.
· Buy products in packages and containers that can be reused or recycled.
· Carry your own bags to the grocery and shops.
· Place your purchases in your bag or one large bag rather than many small bags to reduce waste.
· Compost leaves and twigs, fruit and vegetable wastes, coffee grounds, tea grounds, eggshells, and nutshells
in your garden beds or compost heap.
· Mend and repair rather than discard and replace.
· Buy products in bulk and with less packaging to reduce waste - smaller packages have more packing waste.
· Buy unleaded gasoline.
CONSERVE WILDLIFE AND HABITATS
· Feed the birds in your garden.
· Do not kill animals - they will not harm you.
· Do not set fires that can spread and destroy vegetation and habitat.
· Do not walk on coral reefs.
· Minimize your use of pesticides and use those only those that have been approved as safe for humans and the environment.
· Have local plants in your house or garden.
· Do not waste water - turn off taps, hoses and showers when you are not using them and fix leaks.
· Use rainwater to water plants.
EDUCATION AND PARTICIPATION
· Educate yourself about the natural heritage of Tobago by visiting some of the beautiful natural sites on the island - know your country and your environment.
· Learn about some of the important environmental issues in Tobago by reading the newspapers and visiting Environment TOBAGO’s Environmental Information Centre (at our office).
· Take time to play, relax, and spend time in nature.
· Work to understand people with different views.
· Talk to your family and friends about environmental conservation and green living.
· Share your ideas - write about your concerns to your politicians and to local newspapers.
· Join an environmental group and get involved in projects to help conserve our natural environment